SKATE TRUCK

Lord only knows what you'll find here....There'll be rants and raves and skating and motorcycles and guitars and whatever else might be necessary to pass the time. Thanks for stopping in......

Thursday, June 21, 2007

IOM TT Centenary


A quick word about the 2007 Isle on Man Tourist Trophy. This year the IOM TT celebrated it's 100th anniversary. It had to have been a special year to be on the island.

John McGuinness made it even more special and was the dominant force this year, winning both the Superbike TT and the Senior TT. In the Senior he raised the bar by setting a new out-right lap record for the 37.73mile Mountain Course by laying down an unbelievable lap of 17mins 21.99secs for a lap average of 130.35mph. More can be read HERE in an article from londonbikers.com .

The pic is of Sam's sweet Honda GB500 TT. This bike was produced by Honda for only a couple of years in the late '80's to celebrate Honda's successes at the IOM TT. Most GB's lingered in showrooms for several seasons before being sold at discounts. Now days it is a bit of a cult bike and probably one of the few Honda models that is worth quite a bit more than the original sticker price.

(click on the pic for a larger view)

5 Comments:

At June 21, 2007 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this bike, the first time I rode it I was not sure how it would handle my big ass, but it was a blast. I felt like magilla gorilla, but Sam also looked funny perched up my CBR 1000. I am glad to see Sam has held on to this way cool bike...

 
At June 21, 2007 12:07 PM, Blogger Jessie Wallace said...

That's a sweet ride and looks like new. He buy it new?

 
At June 21, 2007 7:14 PM, Blogger cpt. Dick said...

That thing is sweet . I saw it at R.Q.s and I thought it was a new bike. He has also won a truck load of trophies with it.

 
At June 21, 2007 8:25 PM, Blogger Pee Wee said...

Major sweet ride.....and a bit of a hustle to ride fast. Honda weren't fucking around when they built their own version of a Manx Norton 500cc Single. You gotta' muscle it to ride it fast, I was laughing my ass off last Saturday. I had just swapped off with Sam from my Suzuki DRZ400 motard/dualsport kind of thing to this repli-racer from the late fifties kind of thing.

And no doubt, Dale did indeed look like the proverbial monkey on a football when he thrashed the GB.

Nope, he didn't buy it new. We made an 18 hour speed run to D.C. and back with a small trailer in tow on my 1991 GT Mustang (The Moose!)to pick it up. I think it had around 4,000 miles on it and Sam bought it from the original owner.

Other bikes may come and go from Sam's stash but I don't think the GB will go anywhere.

Props to McGuinness for the 130 mph lap of the Isle. Unbelieveable.

 
At June 22, 2007 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YO, NICE PIC BUT WHERE'S SAM'S SMILING FACE! BLOG THAT! L8TR, DEAN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits