SKATE TRUCK

Lord only knows what you'll find here....There'll be rants and raves and skating and motorcycles and guitars and whatever else might be necessary to pass the time. Thanks for stopping in......

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Oxy-Morons

Oxy-Morons

Once upon a time, about a hundred years ago I was a member of a pretty good local rock-n-roll band named Bulletproof (the woman and many others may argue this point, especially if they ever heard our version of "Victim of Love". Twice.). Well, we got our big chance and were invited to a studio to record a demo. The rest of the band, with some major prompting from the cat that was supplying the studio time, had in my absence decided on the main tune to be recorded. These morons came up with the brilliant idea of playing a heavy metal version of "The Ballad of Jed Clampett". I'll not reveal the studio cat's name and his studio here, but buy me a beer and I'll be more than glad to tell you who he is, he and his studio are still on Music Row in Nash-Vegas.....

Anyway, just imagine my reaction. Actually I'll tell you my reaction. My reaction was to back my hatch-back up to our rehearsal room door and promptly get all my shit. "Hey, hand me that guitar stand, would you? Dude, unplug that. Grab a-hold of this four-twelve bottom. Ooof!" I would've gladly paid money to see my facial expression when that news was unleashed upon me.....

I didn't go anywhere near a band environment for nearly ten years, and I personally like the environment of a band, a bunch of folks working toward a goal, if you will. Hell, I didn't even really play a guitar for five or six years. But, eventually somebody I'd work with mentioned to somebody else that I knew three guitar chords and sung a bit and a conversation would ensue and maybe a jam would happen. Then bang, I'm in another band.

Sadly enough, at least for me, the last two bands I have seen fit to play with for almost a year a-piece have suddenly turned into Christian praise bands. I mean, literally overnight, it seemed. The last band, Uncle Nealy and the Barn Owls (HA!) was a major fun band, with cats that could play hard and sing all their damn parts. But, I'd show up at practice and instead of practice, the band would be standing around wringing their hands and we'd have a sort of band meeting, with them wanting to know if I'd like to pursue this Christian praise music thing with them. The answer is hell no!

I say all of that to just give y'all a laugh, pretty much at my own expense, and not really to put down any praise music bands at all. Everybody needs to play and sing whatever blows their own britches leg up. But man, what have I got scrawled on my forehead that keeps making this kind of thing happen?

I do know that the next time around (if ever) for a band situation, I'll take a page from the likes of Tom Petty or Jeff Beck or Prince and just be the main headknocker.....

6 Comments:

At February 15, 2008 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

praise the lord...at least they did not go country...should you start a band my son hits that axe pretty hard....peace
dale

 
At February 16, 2008 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, as the Nuge says " There can only be one alpha male in A band " Start your own band then you can pick, hire, fire, sing, play who or whatever the fuck YOU want. Hell you allready have the perfect place for A studio to practice in and most of the instruments. Better yet, Peewee's Rock and Roll hall of fame at the old Dickson P.O. where you can get hot wings served to you by hot chicks wearing very little and listen to some kick ass rock and roll by the owner and HIS band. Now that's ombience. Rock on. All hail Ted Nugent , the man. l8tr, Dean

 
At February 16, 2008 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If'n you did it, maybe some day I could come and you could play A Chuck Berry tune for me. My hero. l8tr, Dean

 
At February 18, 2008 4:42 PM, Blogger cpt. Dick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 18, 2008 4:44 PM, Blogger cpt. Dick said...

Hey I know a good bass player if you need one.

 
At February 18, 2008 6:08 PM, Blogger Pee Wee said...

No past oxy-morons need apply.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits